All Girls Auto Know® is SAWF’s Middle school outreach program. Each one-day event invites up to 300 middle school girls along with teacher/educator chaperones to an experience which will explore the many options that are offered with careers in Automotive and STEM. Each event, using standardized content, is structured to best fit the requirements/restrictions of the host for the event, as well as the participating school systems.
The Southern Automotive Women’s Forum (SAWF) is a non-profit, professional organization dedicated to promoting education and scholarships in addition to personal and professional advancement of women in the automotive industry who are in the Southern Region of the United States. ALL GIRLS AUTO KNOW® is our way to help increase of the number of women pursuing STEM degrees/careers in the Southern Region. Our belief is ensuring that young girls are aware of the many opportunities which exist, and enforcing that they can do whatever they put their mind to, will increase the number of women in our industry.
It is the Vision of SAWF to collaborate with companies and organizations by leveraging the knowledge and talents of women role models to foster a dynamic regional automotive community within the Southern states. SAWF provides scholarships, educational programs and mentoring to attract and retain women to this industry.
In 2011, SAWF board members Suzanne Dickerson and Cherie McCain hosted about 40 Greenville County SC middle school girls at Clemson Universities ICAR campus to talk to them about the great options which exist in the Automotive & STEM fields. Together using a kit of random parts, teams built various balloon powered vehicles and raced them in front of the building. At that moment, ALL GIRLS AUTO KNOW® was born.
In 2012 the number of attendees more than doubled. In 2013, it doubled again. Events focused on a presentation on automotive/SAWF/STEM, an interactive panel discussion and a hands-on activity. By 2014, we expanded to 300 attendees, students and their educators, from multiple Upstate SC counties. We added an expo which includes about a dozen representatives from Automotive OEMs and suppliers, STEM Educators, and other STEM organizations. In 2015, we expanded to 2 events per year to include more Upstate SC counties and when possible based on the host, added an automotive tour to replace the panel discussion. In 2017, we expanded to 3 events adding Birmingham, Alabama. In 2018, we increased to four adding one in Kentucky. COVID-19 put a halt to all AGAK programs planned in 2020. In 2021 we have two planned for the spring and fall in Tennessee with the hope in 2022 to do two in Alabama, three in Tennessee and one in South Carolina.
- 2021 All Girls Auto Know®m Spring Hill, TN – October 27, 2021 (20th) – made possible by a grant from General Motors
- 2021 All Girls Auto Know® Spring HIll, TN – March 23, 2021 (19th) – made possible by a grant from General Motors.
- 2019 All Girls Auto Know® Northern Upstate SC at BMW Manufacturing – April 17, 2019 (18th)
- 2019 All Girls Auto Know® Huntsville, AL – April 4, 2019 (17th)
- 2019 All Girls Auto Know® at Girls Inc. Birmingham, AL at Lawson State Community College – March 15, 2019 (16th)
- 2019 All Girls Auto Know® Southern Upstate SC CU-ICAR – March 12, 2019 (15th)
- 2018 All Girls Auto Know® Louisville, KY (14th)
- 2018 All Girls Auto Know® Northern Upstate SC (13th)
- 2018 All Girls Auto Know® Huntsville, AL (12th)
- 2018 All Girls Auto Know® Southern Upstate SC CU-ICAR (11th)
- 2017 All Girls Auto Know® at Girls Inc. Birmingham, AL, SAC (10th)
- 2017 All Girls Auto Know® Northern Upstate SC at DAA – (9th)
- 2017 All Girls Auto Know® Southern Upstate SC CU-ICAR & Greenville Tech Center for Manufacturing Innovation – (8th)
- 2016 All Girls Auto Know® Southern Upstate SC Auto Week – (7th)
2015 All Girls Auto Know® Northern Upstate SC at BMW – (6th)
Girls Rock Video
2015 ALL GIRLS AUTO KNOW® at CU-ICAR with DAA Elephants: (5th)
2014 All Girls Auto Know® at CU-ICAR: (4th)
- 2013 All Girls Auto Know® at CU-ICAR: (3rd)
- 2012 All Girls Auto Know® at CU-ICAR: (2nd)
- 2011 All Girls Auto Know® at CU-ICAR: (1st)